June 8, 2010

But In Dreams

Revolutionary Road. A heartbreaking and powerful story of a couple who achieved "the American dream" only to discover that it's not all it's made out to be. In a moment of inspiration, they decide to move to Paris, to escape the traps suburbia has set for them and to rediscover themselves. But the world is out to get them and they remain trapped.

I absolutely understand. I'm scared that if I'm not careful, I will slip onto the fast track to the suburban trap, scared that if I wait too long to do something, I will lose my motivation. Which may be why I no longer have a desire to go house shopping. Which may be why I'm so disgusted with the way people judge each other based on their belongings. Which may be why we're thinking of leaving this place, perhaps go to Africa, if only for a little while. I want to (re)discover my purpose, to experience new places, meet new people. But most of all, I want to find a new appreciation for life. I need to know that there are still children who get excited to learn and who respect their elders. I need to know that there are places where family is central and the wisdom of the elders is treasured. I need to be reminded that there is happiness in the world and that it can't be bought with money.

I don't want to settle for the Dream and then force myself to smile.

2 comments:

  1. God loves us for how is made us and what we ARE..not what we HAVE! Our trip to Dulac,La really reinforced that! Jackie and I may not have the most or best material things in life but we do have good health, and a family that is growing and loved very much!!!!! We found that the people in Dulac know they have been blessed! They still have FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete