September 3, 2010

The Inner Feminist

Have you ever watched a movie and gotten really worked up about its plot? I've been feeling this way a lot recently. Last night, I saw The Duchess (I love Kiera Knightley), and it was a beautifully portrayed story of yearning love and the entrapments of Old English society. What made it worse for me was the fact that this--the terrible treatment she endured from her husband and her hopeless search for happiness--was a true story. I wanted to step into that dining hall and smack the husband around a little bit, scream in his face. How dare you cheat on your wife! How dare you blame her for not giving you a male child! How dare you view her as merely your sex toy!


Which would've promptly placed me in prison. Or an asylum. Or in the case of The Tudors (a fantastic show about the life and wives of King Henry VIII), I would've been beheaded. Maybe I should stop watching things that accurately portray the time periods I fantasize about. Being a woman back then would've sucked, royally. I don't know what kept them from killing themselves.

So, thank you, God, that I was born in a time period where the rights and views of women are heard and respected. Let me use my freedom to its fullest, and maybe, somehow, make up for the injustices done to all those trapped and miserable women of the old days.

3 comments:

  1. Not every man was a Mr. Darcy...(the character, not the hamster)... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "The Duchess"! I can't imagine how she was able to accept her lot in life; it amazes me.

    ReplyDelete