September 2, 2010

On Deserving Things

I've started reading Eat, Pray, Love, because it's popular right now and it seemed liked the thing to do. I'm surprised that I'm actually still reading it, though, because I agree with very little of what Elizabeth Gilbert says. Not to mention that I think she's a very self-centered person who has too much money and time on her hands.

But she did mention something that I'd like to discuss, because it's been bothering me for quite some time now. While in Italy, Gilbert continuously talks about the pleasures she's enjoying and how the Romans she lives around silently applaud her for her idleness. To her, this is the ideal culture, one where people don't need to be convinced that they deserve luxuries and relaxation. Which is exactly what the American culture pushes. You hear it everywhere--radio, TV, on the street, in your own home. You've earned this vacation (or car or ipod or whatever). No one deserves this comfort (or opportunity or happiness, etc.) more than you do.


Ladies and gentlemen, let me explain to you what we all deserve. Hell and eternal damnation. I know, I know, I'm being a complete killjoy. But you know I'm right. We humans didn't do anything to entitle us to happiness, possessions, salvation, or comfort. Anything we have was given to us by the grace of God.

So please, please, don't use that overused word out of context. It's driving me crazy with its lies. And please, please, see everything good you recieve as a gift, not as something to which you're entitled.

No comments:

Post a Comment