August 26, 2010

Defying Gravity

My friend, Erin, and I went to the Orpheum last night. She won free tickets to Wicked. Oh. my. gosh. I had no idea what to expect, which is probably part of the reason I loved it so much. The costumes were gorgeous (especially the swirling greens of Emerald City), the dance numbers were unique and beautiful, and the orchestra was amazing (and loud, just the way I like it). Oh, and it made fun of Wizard of Oz, which greatly pleased me since I hate that movie.

But man! The woman who played Elphaba (aka the Wicked Witch of the West) had a voice like none other. Usually I prefer male singers over females, but she may be changing my mind. She kept growing in volume and power, and her voice seemed to be coming from deeper and deeper within herself. Like every word was wrenching itself from her soul. She belted out notes with a richness and passion I've only dreamed of hearing. It was truly magical. There were a few times when she finished singing that I wanted to jump out of my seat and scream and dance in excitement.

I feel adulturous for saying this, but that performance may have surpassed Phantom of the Opera. *gasp*

What a lovely and perfect night.

No comments:

Post a Comment