August 9, 2010

Superior Breeze

We are back! Back from a wonderful vacation on the North Shore where the sun tans our skin without killing us with its heat. The moment we stepped out of our car when we got home and the humid ninety-three degree air sucked our breaths away, we realized how much we had enjoyed that Lake Superior breeze. Those three nights spent in the cabin were the first nights this summer that I actually slept well. I loved having the loft windows open and listening to the lapping waves as I drifted off.

I'm not sure if I'd call our trip relaxing, though. Over the course of four days, we probably hiked close to ten miles--mostly uphill--all for the sake of geocaching. We found fourteen! A personal record. I have to say that I'm very proud of myself for pushing through the burning leg, calf, and shin pain; it was totally worth it (not to mention good practice for our Tennessee trip next month).

Now for some highlights:

1. Since it's Split Rock Lighthouse's 100th birthday, every first Friday of the month the park rangers turn on its light. I have never seen a state park so busy! We wandered down to the beach and waited for the moment (I'm pretty sure Josh got some good pictures of it that I'll try to post later). As it got darker outside, the beam became more pronouced and shot across the lake. It looked beautiful. I'm so glad we were there for that momentous occasion.

2. We stayed at the Blacklock Cabin, a secluded refuge for artists and travellers that sits on a cliff overlooking the lake. I absolutely love that place and will never get enough of it. It gives you the sense that you are the only people in the world.
One of the nights, Josh and I went down to the rock beach and had a campfire on the shoreline. In the distance, lightning was shooting from the clouds and dancing on the lake. An absolutely wonderful memory.

3. Thanks to geocaching, we discovered a few new and exciting places. One such place, near Silver Bay, was called Black Beach. The beach is made of pieces of taconite from the nearby mines, and it stretches for quite a ways. We gave up looking for the geocache, though, because we would've had to scale a treacherous rock outcropping (and by scale, I mean, scale). I hope Josh and Darwin don't think I'm a party-pooper, but I didn't want anyone to die! But, in my opinion, finding that beach made the trip totally worth it. Maybe we'll have to return and have a beach fire there too!

4. Also thanks to geocaching, we found Beaver Creek, one of those places you cross on the highway and don't give a second glance. Most of the creek weaves between huge rocks, making it very easy to rock hop and explore. It's nicely shaded and surprisingly peaceful, despite its being so close to the road. This place will have to be further explored, someday when we're not exhausted.

5. Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. I can't believe my family hasn't explored this place more! Josh and I found a really nice picnic area and a beautiful campground. It's a tent-only, cart-in campground, which is probably why I've never been there before. But not for long! Josh and I scoped out a few sites and discovered one overlooking the lakeshore. Someday--and I hope soon!--we will stay there :)

6. Yep, Split Rock Lighthouse State Park is the winner for the best places on this trip. Though the hike was longer than we expected (and Josh wasn't wearing good shoes), we finally found our last geocache. On the top of the Day Hill Trail stood a stone fireplace chimney, and no one really knows the story of it. It's rumored that a man by the name of Day was building a dream home for him and his future wife, but the construction stopped when she called off the wedding. Naturally, a tragic love story would catch my attention ;) I wish they had built a house up there on that huge flat rock, lived quietly together on top of the world, and watched the sunrise over the stirring lake. The view there is one of the best I've ever seen. Next time, I'm bringing a picnic. And maybe a few logs for the home.

6. Blueberry wild rice brats from Superior Meats. Need I say more?

7. Eating at Grandma's in Duluth with the whole family. Love that soup, love that area, and love it when the bridge goes up!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a week in Heaven! I'm glad to hear you came home refreshed> Bring any of those brauts with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. naah, i don't think you're a party-pooper. but i do wanna try getting up there sometime!

    ReplyDelete