August 2, 2010

In Session

I just started taking an ESL tutor training course at the Minnesota Literacy Council, and I have to say that I loved being in a classroom environment again. I know, I'm such a nerd. But I'm sure a big part of my excitement was because I was meeting new people, something I rarely get to do these days as an "unemployed" person. Plus, I'm learning some fun and interesting ways to teach things to people from other backgrounds (using visual, textural, and audio techniques) and ways to relate to their experiences (being respectful, passionate, and curious--but not nosy). Even though ESL tutoring is outside of my comfort zone, I know that I can use these skills I'm learning in many ways. Let's see, though, how eager I am to try them when I actually start working with immigrants and refugees. Intimidating!

No comments:

Post a Comment