October 17, 2010

Book Overload!

Wait? Is that even possible? Nah.

Yesterday, my parents and I went to the Twin Cities Book Festival at the Minneapolis Community and Technical College. I think they were initially skepitcal about the amusement capabilities of a bunch of literary crazies getting together and talking about and selling books, but after my mom got a bunch of free stuff and an author signed the book my dad bought, they seemed to be very pleased with the event. Victory! I, of course, was pleased from the moment we walked in. A huge used book sale? (I spent only $5! Pat me on the back, please). Contact information for numerous publishing houses in Minnesota and the Midwest? Being surrounded by people that love books like I do? Yes, it was a great time. Plus, it was really fun to keep running into people that I knew. My world is small.

And to put icing on the cake, as we were walking back to the car, the church bells of the Basilica were heralding a wedding. We came outside just in time to see the bride and groom come out and kiss beneath the arches. Man, wedding bells really do add to the romance.

Well, I'm off to do some publishing company research and to start reading my new book of poetry by Li-Young Lee. I didn't realize this when I bought it, but the book comes with a CD of him reading some of his poems! I nearly peed myself, I was so excited. There's nothing like hearing an author read his poem, so much depth and feeling, so much power. I'll be sure to share some favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment