October 19, 2010

Thirst

O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land where there is no water."
- Psalm 63:1

I'm still struggling with a restless heart. I think I am on the right track by working on the missions application and going through interviews and preparing myself to leave the country, but I feel like I should be doing something more. But what?

In one of my Bible studies, something really struck me this week. "The Lord wants us to thirst not after a quick fix to our problems but after the life-altering refreshment of His provision... Without God's influence, nothing in the world can really quench the deep thirst of our souls" (from Priscilla Shirer's One in a Million). No wonder I'm so stir-crazy! No wonder I don't feel at home here! I do pray that I don't put too much hope into Kenya becoming my "home." If that's where God wants me to be, I will be satisfied and content (and hopefully find great joy and fulfillment in the process). But I must remember that I will never be fully refreshed until I'm in my heavenly Home. 

In the meantime, keep the thirst coming, God! There's no better yearning in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment