February 5, 2010

I'm so glad I went to college

Because it sure isn't doing anything for me. Yes, I just received yet another rejection. And I was so sure that this time--it had to be this time--I'd get the job. But I suppose it's for the best, because I was starting to have second thoughts about the position anyway. I wouldn't have admitted that to anyone, though, if I had been offered the job. I would've taken it, because that's what you do in this economy. "In this economy." Don't you just hate that phrase? It pops up everywhere, and it sure doesn't boost anyone's confidence--or motivation.

But, since I'm sure you don't want to hear my complaining for a whole blog, I will come up with a list of reasons why "this economy" and my college education is worth the trouble.

1. I have a large support team surrounding me (aka all my fellow graduates who are stumbling around asking questions). Truly, it is a comfort knowing that "it's not just me." Plus, we help each other out--giving advice or encouragement, or even offering each other jobs (thanks, Jenny). I think there's going to be a new kind of camaraderie that comes out of this time.

2. I have plenty of time to figure out where my real passions lie. I've been interning at the Minnesota Literacy Council and love what they are doing. I'm thinking of volunteering there more often, perhaps teach English to ESL learners.

3. A writing degree can pretty much be used anywhere, I just need to find my niche. In the meantime, I'll document my experiences and hopefully I (or others) will learn from them. Or I'll figure out how to do some freelancing.

4. I have more time to devote to God. I find that when I'm in a confused or desperate state, I turn to him more frequently. Since I'm currently in that place, I hope I will develop strong and good habits that I can then nurture for the rest of my life.

5. I have more time to *ahem* experiment in the kitchen. And not just deserts. Josh has this Martin Yan cookbook with some really good stir fry and chicken recipes that look pretty simple. We'll see what I can conjure up :)

So, even though there are many aspects about these days that suck, I will try to look at them differently and use them as a time to learn more about myself and explore other avenues. For now, I am taking a break with the job search--it's exhausting and doesn't yield much but disappointment and a hundred different versions of my resume--and focus my work energies on a little girl named Ava. I'm discovering that, despite my initial fear of young children, they aren't so bad. In fact, I really like them. Which is a good thing to discover since I'm hoping to have some of my own someday.

Toodles!
Heidi

3 comments:

  1. I feel like the phrase "in this economy" is a scapegoat for people to just think, "Well, there's nothing *I* can do about it; it's out of my hands!" You know, like they are just waiting for things to be magically fixed without trying. You, on the other hand, have been trying very valiantly to fight against the tide that's pulling some people down completely. But there's a fine line between giving up and recognizing when the timing now is unyielding to positive results. I commend you on your outlook and your positive take on things. Take some time to gather your strengths and give it a go again. :) I'm behind you 110% of the way.

    And I get to see you Tuesday. Tehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh, I really am sorry to hear about the job not working out! I've been in the same boat- all last spring I was discouraged with rejection after rejection. It practically made me not want to even apply to anything. While I'd love to be home with my daughter all day, I'm thankful that I have job stability and a great position. PLUS, I am SUPER thankful and extremely blessed to have such a level-headed gal taking care of Ava all day long! It makes being away from her all day bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE ARE REALLY BLESSED TO HAVE A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW LIKE YOU AND REALLY PROUD OF WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED! GOD HAS A GREAT PLAN FOR YOU! BE PATIENT AND LISTEN CAREFULLY. OUR PRAYERS WILL BE ANSWERED.

    ReplyDelete