April 29, 2010

A Perk to the Allergies

Thanks to my allergy pills, I've been having some beautifully vivid and colorful dreams! My favorite (and the one that makes the most sense to explain) happened last night and was strongly influenced by the Discovery series Life. Luckily, we don't have to watch the version with Oprah as the narrator; we get the British one, which makes the series seem that much more educational. :) As a result, my dream was about some exotic (and purely fictional) creatures in their natural habitats, complete with a British narrator. When I first woke up, I really believed those animals existed! And I must admit, I'm sad they don't. So, without further ado, let me describe, in the best way that I can, the brilliant pictures in my sleeping head.

The two main subjects are a hummingbird of some sort and a really fancy flying insect. Strangely enough, they both like the same kind of food--a water lily-type plant--and both happen upon the flower at the same time. Since the bird and the insect are roughly the same size, it's not obvious who will win this argument, so they resort to a unique way of fighting. (Keep in mind that the action is described in an intellectually-charged British accent.)

The bird lands in the water and begins the dispute by lifting a perfectly rounded and glistening water droplet out of the pond. He tosses it in the air and it turns into a bubble. The insect lands in the water as well and begins his own bubble making. It doesn't take long for us to realize that the insect has a much more impressive display. The bird, frustrated and not ready to give up, puffs himself up so that he appears twice as large and closely resembles a fragile glass Christmas ornament. He is a very stunning creature when he accomplishes this feat; however, it will take a few moments for him to deflate and thus be able to fly again, so it is in these moments that he is the most vulnerable to the predators from below. Unfortunately, his grandest display has not won him the flowery food, for more insects have gathered and are laying claim to it. Dejected, the bird swims away and waits to deflate.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha, the last sentence is my favorite. I love you sister :)

    ReplyDelete