April 20, 2010

Why?!

I almost gagged when I heard that the makers of Facing the Giants and Fireproof had a new movie. This one, called Letters to God, is exactly that. This review from Entertainment Weekly says it all:

"A bland, pious yet touching faith-based tearjerker. In Letters to God, nine-year-old Tyler (Tanner Maguire) suffers from brain cancer (he's had 30 radiation treatments), but he's as upbeat as Shirley Temple. He fuels his spirit by writing letters to God, which inspires an alcoholic mailman (Jeffrey Johnson) to rediscover his faith. There are so many characters basing their actions on what Jesus would do that Jesus just about deserves a co-screenwriting credit."

I have never laughed out loud from a movie review before. But it makes me sad to know that it's my faith and my God that is the butt of the joke.

Now, I don't remember much about Facing the Giants because I hated it so much, but I do remember the poor, poor quality of Fireproof. The storytelling was too pat and predictable, the character development was extremely lacking, and the script was horrible--no one talks like that. I also seem to remember that, in order to ensure that there was an adequate conversion scene and so we could clearly see how the man's life was changed, we had to suffer through another random plot right at the end of the story. Some of my fellow Christians called it a "plot-twist," but let me assure you, that is not was it was. It was completely unnecessary, didn't fit with the movie AT ALL, and added about thirty more minutes to an already painfully long movie.

I understand that it's exciting when Christians get movies into theaters, that we have the opportunity to share our beliefs. But have you ever stopped to think about who is actually going to see these movies? Yeah. Christians. Christians supporting Christians who believe they're actually making a difference and reaching out to nonbelievers. If I was a nonbeliever, I would in no way be enticed to watch one of those movies. Sap and feel-good sensations do not sell in the real world. The real world is harsh and ugly. Why can't we Christians understand that? Why do we think that the only way to present our beliefs is through blatantly obvious avenues? There is such a thing as subtlety. There is such a thing as theme.

For example, the movie Atonement, though not a "Christian film" (and to be honest, it would probably be frowned upon in many Christian circles), taught me more about the meaning of "atonement" than anything I've ever read or seen before. It was done in such a beautiful way, and because I'm smart (which I fear many Christians don't assume of people), I'm able to tie that newly-discovered definition to Christ's atoning sacrifice. My faith has been enhanced and my mind has not been watered-down.

Now, let's talk about The Passion of the Christ. Mel Gibson had the right idea. His movie was raw and brutal and truthful. And millions of people watched it, not just Christians. The life (and death) of Christ was not a pretty thing, it was not without its complications. So what makes us think we can dumb down God's message so people "understand" it better? People understand heartache and tribulation and pain. Shouldn't we reach out to them from those raw emotions? Don't you think we should show truth through things that will stand the test of time? Don't you think mediocrity breaks His heart?

3 comments:

  1. I agree completely, Christian films do tend to be pale facsimiles of the boring-est (I know that's not a word don't you dare berate me "smart girl") the boring-est dramas that ever make it to the large screen. I would way rather see a cool vampire flick than sit down to a lame version of "on golden pond" or some such nonsense. And I claim Christ as my savior. I know He doesn't want me feeding into tales of demons. But still I do because the "approved of" films seem to keep sucking. Granted, they are beginning to suck less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make good points. One note- the makers of Fireproof and Facing the Giants are not making Letters to God. I think the producers are distributors are the same, but they aren't the ones who make the movie. That being said... the makers (Sherwood Pictures) do have a new movie coming out. It is called Courageous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could phrase my thoughts as eloquently as you. But I feel the exact same way. Haha, Fireproof was a terrible movie :P

    ReplyDelete