April 5, 2010

Purely the Music

Easter services. One of the two times in a year when the church is completely packed with people. What a perfect opportunity to entice people to continue attending, right? Which is probably why our worship pastor added the Beatles' "Let It Be" to his repertoire. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with that (it's a lovely song), but the way he was singing it, I couldn't understand a single word. It's called enunciation! If they hadn't put the words on the screen, I wouldn't have been able to recognize the English.

This is not the first time something like this has happened. Our leader has a terrible habit of dropping out during the choruses of new songs, making it very difficult for the congregation to learn the new melody, and of adding musical and synthesized embellishments that are distracting to the true purpose of the morning--worshiping God.

Maybe some people wouldn't be as picky about this kind of stuff as Josh and I are, but we, coming from very musical backgrounds, find it dissatisfying and frustrating when people think they can bring mediocre music to church. I mean, we're worshiping God! Shouldn't we bring him the best?

Please don't get the idea that this post is meant to completely bash our church, because it's not. Grace is doing a wonderful job of transitioning into the media world and making services (and their website) relevant to the younger generations. They have a fellowship hall complete with a book store and coffee shop, and every week, our pastor preaches powerful, life-applicable lessons that tie in well with what people are learning in Sunday School classes. No, our church is doing a fine job. It's purely the music I have an issue with, mostly because I know he can do better.

I'd like to bring up some of my concerns with someone at the church, but I haven't the slightest idea how to bring it up or to whom I should speak. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I HAD A SIMILAR SITUATION THE AT OUR FIRST CHRISTMAS SERVICE AT EBC. THE WORSHIP STARTED WITH "LITTLE DRUMMER BOY" LIKE I HAVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE! I MEAN HARD ROCK! I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT SO I WENT RIGHT TO THE WORSHIP LEADER (THROUGH EMAIL.. THE COWARD'S WAY TO COMMUNICATE). I GOT A RESPONSE IMMEDIATELY EXPLAINING THAT THEY USED THAT RENDITION FOR THE YOUNG CROWD! I STILL DID NOT LIKE IT BUT AT LEAST I NOW KNOW WHY THEY USED IT AT THE CHRISTMAS SERVICE!

    ReplyDelete