May 18, 2010

Birds of Prey: Part Two

When Josh and I went to the Minnesota Zoo last week, I was struck with sadness. On exhibit was a bald eagle with a shattered wing. She would never fly again. And as such, she could not survive in the wild. On a rock next to her was a dead bird, the only way she could eat. It was such a pathetic sight. And it got me thinking, What kind of life is this? Are the zookeepers really showing compassion to her by feeding her and keeping her alive? Or is her confinement and pampering a slow kind of torture?

I admit, she was a beautiful creature and I greatly enjoyed seeing her up close. But I've found greater joy in watching an eagle eat carrion along the side of the road, dip and fall with the thermals, and dance with his mate through the air. All things she will never do again.

Josh did make an interesting point, though, because he too experiences a twang of sadness when he sees animals in captivity. It's good for us to see her up close like this, to learn about her and understand her. And it's especially good to teach children about her (and all animals), because they are the ones who will look after this earth once we're gone. And teaching them early and showing them the majesty of the creatures will hopefully instill in them a sense of wonder and a sense of duty.


I really love my husband. And I feel a little better about the plight of the eagle. Perhaps she is serving a greater purpose. I know I won't forget her!


No comments:

Post a Comment