May 17, 2010

Birds of Prey: Part One

One of my favorite things to see when I'm driving:


Hawks have always been high on my list of favorite animals because (1) they are majestic, (2) they have beautiful colorings, (3) they fly, and (4) they evoke visions of mountains and open skies. Seeing them along a busy street reminds me that all the world works together, we all belong and we all need to take care of each other. But it also reminds me of the potential hawk tragedies.

A few years ago, while I was visiting a nature center with my family, a man came in with a stiffening but still-warm red-tailed hawk. She had been hunting along the side of the road, swooped in front of the man's car. It all happened so fast. There was nothing I could do! The man's face was helplessness and pain. The nature center workers consoled him with words like "Don't blame yourself" and "It's only natural." But their words were hollow. We could feel them ringing in the air. There was nothing natural about automobiles invading the hawk's territory and killing her. I wished there was something I could do.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why exactly I smile when I see a hawk sitting on a light post. Perhaps because at that moment, he's safe and proud. Perhaps because the mere fact that he's alive makes up for the death of his sister. Perhaps because his presence is a constant reminder that we are being watched, being judged, and being protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment