May 19, 2010

Owl City Revisited

Little else can be said about the beauty of Owl City's lyrics (see my previous post for more details). Here I've written out the words to my very favorite song of his, but like I've said before, you really have to hear it to get the full effect. His synthesized notes and sweet melodies make this love song that much more endearing. I've italicized my favorite lines, the ones that carry a lot of poetic weight and make me sigh in contentment.

Vanilla Twilight

The stars lean down to kiss you,
and I lie awake and miss you.
Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere.
Cause I’ll doze off safe and soundly,
but I’ll miss your arms around me.
I’d send a postcard to you, dear, cause I wish you were here.

I’ll watch the night turn light blue,
but it’s not the same without you,
because it takes two to whisper quietly.
The silence isn’t so bad, till I look at my hands and feel sad,
cause the spaces between my fingers are right where yours fit perfectly.
I’ll find repose in new ways, though I haven’t slept in two days,
cause cold nostalgia chills me to the bone.
But drenched in vanilla twilight, I’ll sit on the front porch all night
waist deep in thought, because when I think of you

I don’t feel so alone.

As many times as I blink,
I’ll think of you
tonight.

When violet eyes get brighter and heavy wings grow lighter,
I’ll taste the sky and feel alive again.
And all to get the world that I knew, that I swear I won’t forget you.
Oh, if my voice could reach back through the past,
I’d whisper in your ear,
“Oh, darling, I wish you were here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment